Friday, June 19, 2009

Window 2 prepped

This one's on the east side, one of the 28"x54" ones. It had no glass left and was Visqueen-and-fiberglassed up, so it is the logical next window to get something with a screen in it.

Since it's on the east and gets more shade, the weatherproofing is in OK shape; I'm not even going to replace the caulk, as it honestly seems fine for now. I've learned from experience in one respect, though: I'm going to paint the frame before putting the window it. Granted, that was the plan with the other one before I got panicky about the coming storm (which naturally failed to materialize), but this time I mean it. So tomorrow I'll paint, then install the window.

Also on tomorrow's agenda is to finish prepping the bathtub wall and get the faucet reinstalled. That's probably enough for one day.

On the front windows: I just went ahead and ordered some special-sized 30"x54" windows. What the heck, it's just money. What decided me was the sudden realization that I would not only have to build a new center post, but also add four inches of sill. That seemed kinda stupid. And worth a hundred bucks to avoid. And as long as I was special ordering, I went ahead and got a little grill put into the windows. They'll be in front, so that'll look pretty slick, I think.

Then paint the rest of the trim (window frames and door frames) and the carriage house will look utterly charming.

Anyway, that was today. Till tomorrow!


  1. Smart move on the special windows. Probably saves you several hours and some money, anyway.

  2. Good idea on the windows, since you're going with the original frames and sills. It all does sound like the epitome of charm.

    Tin roofs are probably the worst about leaks running down the roofing material, and dripping down away from the location of the leak(s). You may have to get some patch material that you can apply over all the seams, and just seal it all up. It's usually kind of ugly, but form follows function sometimes. If it bugs you later, after the other top 100 priorities are finished, you can redo that part of the roof.

    I installed a new mixing valve for a horse shower today (customer surprised me). Easy copper work, and the valve was a single unit. Only problem was, it was inside a concrete block wall--not behind it, but the plumbing was actually running in a groove in the middle of the block. There was no way to retrofit without tearing the block up. Fortunately, the customer knew a specialty welder who came over and made a big, stainless steel plate escutcheon. Monday or Tuesday I'll go touch up the paint.

  3. The tin roof basically consists entirely of patching material, ha. It's really a tar roof with a tin structural layer.

    I love plumbing inside concrete, don't you? Down in Puerto Rico they do that. So if your shower needs a new valve, first the plumber jackhammers it out, then replaces it, then concretes it all back up. Our old house up here was on a slab, and I always hoped the pipes wouldn't leak -- way back when, we lived in a rental apartment on the first floor, and it had a slab. The bathroom floor was heated! Which was great until that hot-water leak became a one-inch hot-water flood at three in the morning one day. We junked the last of the damaged bookshelves just two years ago; end of an era.

    On the windows - yeah. I was all fired up about using standard sizes, until I started to really think about what was involved. It slowly dawned on me that saving money on purchase price is not always an overall savings - and if I want to do creative carpentry, I'm better served applying that to the big house at my leisure, and not to the carriage house, where my goal is cheap, quick livability.