Wednesday, June 27, 2012

For sale: one big house

You doughty followers of The Big House will doubtless have noticed that I haven't posted this year.  The spring has been hectic - lots of travel and our daughter graduated high school - and now we've left The House for better prospects.  This is the view from my desk right now, in Budapest's 16th District.

I still have so many projects photodocumented that I want to write about, and hopefully now that we live in a place where my wife is unassailed by Level 5 culture shock and my children have public transit for all their back-and-forthing needs, I'll actually have some time to write about them. I probably have so much backlog that I will have bought a fixer-upper here in Hungary before I run out.  I'm going to insert them into the post stream around the dates they were actually written, but I'll also put current-dated references to them for the home audience.

In the meantime, I've put The House on the market for $40,000.  As I tell people, either I'll get to keep it, or I'll have enough money that I won't care.  I think it won't sell this year, but we'll see.  With an office view like this, suddenly The House is less attractive to me, and I remember, you know, how much I always loved Europe to start with.  But if it doesn't sell, then in the fall or maybe next spring, I'll head over for a few intensive weeks of work - sort of a work camp of one.

My next post will be a full to-do list of everything remaining to be done in The House (at least those that have been dignified with to-do points), just for historical reasons and in preparation for any such work camp binge.  But in the meantime, my bank account is running on fumes and I really have to pay attention to invoicing and additional work.  (Without significant distractions!  It's like heaven!)

3 comments:

  1. If I didn't already have a 45 mile commute (to Louisville) I'd be so tempted. I'm glad you'll be posting more projects: vicarious rehabbing is the best kind. (Europe is very tempting, too)

    Mary Anne in Kentucky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kind of eerie. I just came back to the blog after quite a time away and I find your first post of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clearly you felt a disturbance in the Force.

    ReplyDelete